Featured Post

Holobionts: a new Paradigm to Understand the Role of Humankind in the Ecosystem

You are a holobiont, I am a holobiont, we are all holobionts. "Holobiont" means, literally, "whole living creature." It ...

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Be a Good Holobiont! Cultivate Mushrooms!

 


A mushroom-based lunch at the class on mushroom cultivation that I attended. The main dish is based on Pleurotus and I can tell you that it was absolutely delicious. Gaia is wise and benevolent in many of her manifestations!


I took a 2-day full-immersion class on mushroom cultivation. I am not sure that I can engage in this activity myself, it is a full-time job, not really suitable as a hobby. But it is surely a welcome respite from the daily, horrible news we are receiving from all over the world. It is fortunate that there are still people who spend their time doing something good and useful, and may Gaia bless them for what they are doing!

Mushrooms are not holobionts themselves, but they are part of many holobionts, not least forming the "rhizosphere," the all-important layer that keeps Earth's "skin", its fertile soil alive. And you may know that fungi are symbionts of the human organism, even though their role is still largely unknown. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369527416301813

To know more about mushroom cultivation, see the site of the "Funghi Espresso" company that cultivates mushrooms using used coffee grounds as substrate. 



4 comments:

  1. Ugo. Growing mushrooms definitely does not have to be a full time job. I have been growing Wine Cap mushrooms in beds in my yard for a number of years, using free woodchips obtained from my Village who collects tree branches and chops them up since most folks consider them a waste. I consider them a source of food, when turned into tastee mushrooms. Check out my North American supplier's information on growing mushrooms in beds on woodchips or straw and my guess is there must be similar mushroom spawn available from Italian suppliers. Could probably grow in containers or pots (although I have not tried that). Most of the work is in preparing beds, then mushrooms do their thing and can continue producing for a couple years or more. Production does go down as the mushrooms convert woodchips to more fungus. https://www.fieldforest.net/category/growing-mushrooms-in-beds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I am trying various possibilities. I am not a professional, but it is a lot of fun

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! Please explore the concept of the Miyawaki forest method.. the book, Mini-Forest Revolution by Hannah Lewis is very instructive and illuminating. We say Flora ,Fauna, Funga..as anything in nature comes in threes! choose love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment!!! I'll check the books you mention

    ReplyDelete